Stacks Image 148

The Original Time Machine

Map Icon

Click on the map icon under each photo to see the approximate location.
Uxbridge is a town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, in the United States. It was first settled in 1662,and was incorporated in 1727. It is named for the Earl of Uxbridge, who lived in Uxbridge, England. Uxbridge is 16 miles (26 km) south-southeast of Worcester, 20 miles (32 km) north-northwest of Providence, and 46 miles (74 km) southwest of Boston. It is part of the Greater Boston and Worcester metro areas. The 2010 census showed 13,457 people. Uxbridge includes the villages of North Uxbridge, Linwood (in part), Wheelockville, and Ironstone (South Uxbridge).
Uxbridge, a "mini tapestry of early America", marks the center of the Blackstone Valley Heritage Corridor, a key region of America's earliest industrialization. There are more than 375 state or national historic sites. Uxbridge was an incubator for textiles, power looms for woolens, cashmere woolens, and manufacturing of clothing and military uniforms, for over 140 years. The first woolen mill in the Blackstone Valley was built here in 1809. The Bachman Uxbridge Worsted Company's proposed 1954 buyout of the American Woolen Company would have created America's largest woolen conglomerate. The first Air Force Dress Uniform, "Uxbridge Blue", was made here. Uxbridge played key roles in women's rights with first woman voter, Lydia Taft, American Revolution soldier, Deborah Sampson, abolitionist Abby Kelley, and Massachusetts's first women jurors. Seth Reed fought at Bunker Hill, and was "instrumental" in adding E Pluribus Unum, ('From Many, One'), to U.S. Coins.


Stacks Image 2053
Stacks Image 2054
This building is located at the corner of Routes 16 and 122 in Uxbridge. The old photo is from a postcard. The new photo taken April 2011.
Stacks Image 2071
Stacks Image 2073
Stacks Image 2074
This one-room schoolhouse is located in the Ironstone section of Uxbridge. It has been faithfully restored right down to the outhouse seen on the side.
Stacks Image 2091
Stacks Image 2093
Stacks Image 2094

The Uxbridge Common is surrounded by historic buildings. This view is looking east across Rt 122.

Stacks Image 2111
Stacks Image 2113
Stacks Image 2114
The Civil War Memorial in the center of the common. The old Macomber Academy, seen in the new photo isn't present in the old photo. That building didn't open until 1920.
Stacks Image 2131
Stacks Image 2133
Stacks Image 2134
The old Macomber Academy is located at the north end of the common. The Free Masons made use of this building.
Stacks Image 2151
Stacks Image 2153
Stacks Image 2154

The Wheelock House in Uxbridge is believed to have been built in 1768 or 69. The new photo was taken 4/18/2011.

Stacks Image 2171
Stacks Image 2173
Stacks Image 2174
This building built in 1914 has always served as a bank. It is located across from the north end of the Town Common in Uxbridge.
Stacks Image 2191
Stacks Image 2193
Stacks Image 2194

This is located on the west edge of the common.

Stacks Image 2211
Stacks Image 2213
Stacks Image 2214
Stacks Image 29
Stacks Image 2229
Stacks Image 2230
The old Blanchard school is also on East Hartford Ave. No longer used, it is slowly becoming another victim of time.
Stacks Image 2247
Stacks Image 2269
Stacks Image 2270

Frabotta's store has been a fixture in North Uxbridge for generations. Gone are the gas pumps, but little else has changed.

Stacks Image 2287
Stacks Image 2289
Stacks Image 2290
I find it amazing that a seemingly average building would have played an important role is the early 20th century. This building is located across from Hellen's Oil. It used to be the Worcester Railway Carhouse for the trolleys that roamed our streets. Today it has a different use.
Stacks Image 2307
Stacks Image 2309
Stacks Image 2310
Changes over time can be considerable. This shows a business that has thrived over the years. A gallon of gas costs a bit more than the early days.
Stacks Image 2327
Stacks Image 2329
Stacks Image 2330
Time is not kind to neglect. This was once a one room school house. What should be a proud historic landmark is ready for the wrecking ball.
Stacks Image 2347
Stacks Image 2349
Stacks Image 2350
I'm sure people pass this old railroad depot every day with out notice. This is currently used by a real estate firm. It is located across the street from the Uxbridge Town Hall. It was completed in 1895.
Stacks Image 2367
Stacks Image 2369
Stacks Image 2370
Located just north of the old railroad depot is the old Gunn building which was built after the big fire in 1896. The Taft building, which was destroyed in the fire was not yet rebuilt in this picture.
Stacks Image 2387
Stacks Image 2389
Stacks Image 2390
At one time, the railroad tracks crossed Mendon Street at street level. Eventually two sets of tracks crossed above. Today, only one set is in use. On the left, the original Taft building before the great fire. Today, you see the brick building through the trees that replaced it around 1896.

More to come.